- Name Carolyn Mark
- District East Greenwich
- Title on Committee (if any) Chair
- City/Town East Greenwich
- State/Province RI
- ZIP/Postal Code 02818
- Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number 401-862-0354
- First Elected 11/06/2012
- Current Term Expiration 11/08/2016
Academic achievement, parent and student engagement.
Funding for initiatives such as all day kindergarten, technology, capital improvements, curriculum development, professional development, later start times at the middle and high schools, and more.
- Other (please specify) In general, I would not favor requiring students to participate in state assessments. However, there may be some circumstances such as needing to determine if a student is prepared to take a certain level college course where I might support a state assessment participation requirement.
I believe very strongly in the importance of state assessments in determining how individual students and entire schools and districts are doing with respect to teaching and learning. However, I stop short of supporting compulsory testing, and I do believe in multiple pathways to determining whether or not a student is ready to graduate.
It seems to me that the biggest concern is around high stakes testing. I’m hoping that we can agree as a state to high standards but multiple pathways so that we can all focus on the value of assessments with respect to teaching and learning.